Monday, August 22, 2005

Countdown

In precisely one week from this very moment, Kaitlyn will be between her 2nd and 3rd period high school classes. We won't know WHAT those classes are until one week from today however.

High School. I remember high school. I'm kinda thinking that maybe Kaitlyn shouldn't go to high school. I'm quite sure she shouldn't be allowed to go to college. She SHOULD be going to Kindergarten.

Kindergarten is good. Everyone's your friend. No one has ulterior motives. You get a snack. You go home at noon.

What's that you say? She has to go to high school? Hmph. She WANTS to go? Yea... but that's just because she found out that they'll be extracting DNA and separating DNA fragments using gel electrophoresis. Don't know what that is? You either need to watch more CSI or Google it.

Kaitlyn is still in bed at 9am this exactly one week before school starts. In one week and one day, she'll be out of the house by about 6:30am. Zero period Spanish starts at 7am. It will be rude awakening. But hellsbells.... I was out on the field ready for marching band practice at 7am. At least she'll be in a nice warm classroom.....

High School. Go Eagles!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

...and she won't have to get her wind up to blow on a flute or bagpipe!!

Elaine said...

*I* know what gel electrophoresis is! And I used to do PCR at my biotech job... Well, ONCE. When I was filling in for someone on maternity leave and helping my coworker Kevin do the work of two overworked people.

Go, Kaitlyn!!

livingwilde said...

What the hell is "zero period"? Some new torture?

My daughter, Elyse, started middle school 2 weeks ago. I thought that was trying. Can't even think yet of high school.

Nancy D. said...

Zero Period. The hour before school starts. It's what you take when you need to get more classes in than the standard schedule will provide. In my case, Marching Band ate up 2 periods. And in order to not use precious academic time, the had it start an hour early.

For Kaitlyn, if she wants to take a FUN class (like choir), she has to take a zero period for the "gotta have two years to get a high school diploma foreign language and three to avoid having to take it at a State College".

Middle school IS trying. I felt like I was sending her to the wolves.....

Anonymous said...

Kindergarden sounds GREAT! Can I go there too?

livingwilde said...

Ah... here in the grand state of Alabama... They simply recommend you log extra time during the summer at community college.

not sure I like either solution. :-(