Monday, July 18, 2005

Hot Hot Hot

Well........ today it didn't make the 100 mark on the Official Thermometer. It is no longer "hot", but merely "warm". No one who's lived in the Sacramento Valley for more than one summer would dare call anything with two digits "hot". And so, 97 wasn't "hot"....

Oh well. I had planned on it being hot for dinner and so we went ahead and had ice cream for dinner. It's been hot for a week...it was scheduled to be hot for about another week. I can't stand to look at another salad in the face. Ice cream it was.

It's an easy way to be a hero to your kids. No veggies. Nothing mysterious and yucky. No funky sauce that might be hiding something that might be yucky. Say "It's Ice Cream for Dinner Night!" and you are the BEST MOM EVER!

Of course my kids know that when it's been hot for days, it is quite likely that it will be ice cream night. It usually happens once or twice a summer. Sometimes I am lobbied in the middle of winter, but I just say "No. Stew tonight." And that's cool too, cause they love stew....

I love my kids. After a few negative utterences when they were small, they have come to like a wide range of dishes. I love that Kaitlyn will eat broccoli for dessert and Emma will make herself a spinach salad for her after school snack.

So sure.... ice cream for dinner.....

2 comments:

Sue said...

And you didn't invite ME?? The world renowned ice cream glutton?

Hmph.

And I'm stealing that idea, by the way.

Nancy D. said...

HA! See what you know! While we were there, collecting our ice cream... I thought "Sue would SO be into this!"

So you WERE there. Just without benefit of the airplane ride...