Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Letters to Santa

Did you ever write a letter to Santa and actually put it in the mailbox? I didn't. Might've given it to my mom trusting her to mail it. I really don't remember.....

Emma informed me a few weeks back that she did NOT want to go sit on Santa's lap. I figured she was feeling kinda too big for all that. I don't know if she's told Dad yet. Cause Christmas Eve these past few years saw them getting up and being the first in line for Santa at the mall.

But I could tell she was a tad bit worried about word getting to Santa about what she wanted. Mind you, The Material Girl has a long list and I don't think anything is under $100. Most of it is some over priced electronic gadget, heavily advertised on The Disney Channel and Nick. They sound all sorts of wonderful, but really.... not so much. Like some "pen" that remembers what you write or some such thing. As long as you use the very expensive special paper. Always the catch.....

As materialistic the child is, she is also clever...in that conniving kind of way. She shall just WRITE to Santa this year. She asked me for Santa's address...without telling me about the letter. I just said "North Pole".

One morning she came down and asked for a stamp. She had a letter to Santa to mail. It was a piece of binder paper, folded over and stapled. It was duly addressed to: Santa Claus, North Pole. It had her return address. I gave her a stamp after scoping out her letter. I said something to the effect that "Santa is gonna send us a BILL for all this stuff". She says... I told him to just pick ONE.

I was (and still am) skeptical. But ok......

It was stamped and put in the mailbox to go off to........ the North Pole.

Apparently.

Because TODAY a return letter arrived. Return address: Santa Claus, North Pole. Hand addressed in red ink. The handwriting reminded me of my grandmother's script.

Inside was a letter addressed to "My little friend". It told of how busy it had been at the North Pole and that they are going to be ready for Christmas. It said how he had been checking on all the boys and girls and that they were doing their best to be good. It was signed by Santa HIMSELF!

Emma says: "I didn't think he would REALLY get my letter!"

Yes, Emma.... There is a Santa Claus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty awesome. I'm going to have Lauren write a letter this weekend.

D